How It Works - Adult 6HR Online Driver's Ed.
Get your Texas driver’s license quickly and easily with our Online 6 Hour Adult Drivers Education course. Here’s how it works in 5 easy steps!
STEP 1: Sign up for the Cruise Control Adult 6HR Online Course
- If you’re 18-24 years old, Texas requires you to take an adult drivers ed course before getting your license. Our 6-hour online course gives you the flexibility to study when and where you want.
- If you’re 25 or older, a drivers ed course is not mandatory, but we highly recommend it. If you haven’t taken a course, you’ll need to pass a written exam at the DPS. Our course lets you take that test online, saving you a trip to the DPS.
STEP 2: Receive your completion certificate
- After completing the course, pass the final exam on road signs and rules. You will need to pass the exam with a score of at least 70%.
- If you fail the exam, you can retake it as many times as you need to BUT you can only take it once per day.
- Passing this exam means you won’t have to retake the written exam at the DPS!
STEP 3: Complete the Impact Texas Adult Drivers Program (ITAD)
- Watch a free one-hour video on the dangers of distracted driving through the ITAD program.
- After completion, you’ll receive a certificate to bring with you to the DPS.
STEP 4: Get a Learners Permit (optional)
- Make an appointment at a DPS office and bring your course completion certificate along with all the other necessary documents (We’ll walk you through this and give you a checklist to follow at the end of the online course).
- Adults aren’t required to take driving lessons, but if you want practice before the road test, get a learners permit.
- When you get an Adult Learner’s Permit you can then practice with a local driving school or someone over 21 with a valid Texas license.
STEP 5: Pass your DPS Driving Test and Get your License!
- Schedule a driving test at a local DPS office or if you opted to get an Adult Learner Permit, you can take your road test at a driving school near you that is authorized to offer the DPS road test.
- If you’re 18-24, present your drivers ed and ITAD completion certificates before the driving test.
- If you’re 25 or older and haven’t taken a drivers ed course, you must pass a written exam at the DPS.
- You’ll also need to pass a vision test, regardless of age. Remember to wear glasses or contacts if needed.
- Once you pass the driving test, congratulations! You’re officially a licensed Texas driver.
We make online driver's education a breeze!
We care about our customers.
Providing our customers and students with a good experience is our top priority. We will do everything we can to answer questions, offer support, and guide you to success.
If you ever need anything from us, we are just a few clicks away! When you enroll in one of our courses you will automatically have access to our online message support system and our staff is always on standby to offer assistance when needed. If you are not yet enrolled, feel free to call us, email us, or message us using the contact form found on this page.